Thursday, July 11, 2013

I WANT TO PUNCH SOMETHING




Any sort of ambitions I have to becoming a decent writer are now out of the window because this lady takes the cake.  



Ok now that I've had my fit maybe not like the best of the best obviously, but better than I've read in awhile.  Flynn has that way her characters describe things that I love- little cliches you feel only you pick up on... but obviously not because other people are reading the book and love it too (it's uber popular in case you haven't seen everybody reading it).  

For instance, when Amy talks about "Cool Girls".  The girls that pretend they are game for everything and are interested in everything their guy is into.  They want to be the laid back one that their guy brags about to his friends- she doesn't care if I come home late from poker with the guys smelling of cigars, because she's cool.  I can put my feet up on the coffee table because she's cool with it.   But this said Cool Girl is actually not on board with everything and gets annoyed by things, but she never speaks up to keep her act up.  So of course when these two chums get married and how many years go by and the girl starts letting go of the act and is uninterested in sports etc. the guy is all like.... what happened? 




I mean to all of the Joeys, Harrys and Fresh Princes out there I mean, yeah.  Girls are complicated.  Really.  

PS their gay best friend knew the whole time.
This books takes that to a whole other level (and that's all I'll say).
So anyways I've played that girl before and when Flynn was (well actually her character was) describing this act I got this sick vomit feeling when I was reading the description.  Yes.  Uh huh.  Yes.  Spot on.  What if I can't distinguish between myself and that girl or get so attached to that girl that I wake up one day and I go "I don't even like beets why am I even eating them?  How did I trick myself into liking them?  Who am I?"  This is like some evil queen disguise business.

 

I mean there is something to be said about trying new things and liking them, obviously, but saying you like them to appease a boy.  Never.  Nope.


So anyways.  Back to the book.  Stuff like that.  All the twists and turns advertised on the jacket cover are all they live up to be (and I haven't been that surprised by a story line in awhile).  But take my advise, just read it and don't read any excerpts about specifically what the book is about.  It'll hook you, line and sinker right away.  
Oh and the "I want to punch something" line you will feel (don't you worry!!).  Just read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment